A bastion is a military structure equipped with weapons to protect and defend a region. The bastions, which were first used after the 11th century, lost their importance after the First World War. In this period, with the development of modern war technology, the defense power of the bastions decreased and more effective defense strategies became preferred. However, bastions, which are historically and culturally important structures, attract great attention from tourists.
The word tabya is derived from the Arabic word ta’biye and means “preparation, equipping, stacking” as a military term. Bastions are closed positions surrounded by defense positions to accommodate different numbers of military forces, with various structures such as barracks, arsenals, training and assembly places, and ready-made continental quarters, warehouses and mosque buildings. These structures are usually built of stone, masonry, concrete or reinforced concrete.
The first examples of bastions emerged from the late Antiquity to the Middle Ages, when small defense towers and positions were built near large castles. However, the real development of the bastions took place in the New Age. As the striking power of firearms increased, it was necessary to meet the needs of weapons, ammunition and supplies quickly in order to prolong the siege period of the armies, and to make fortifications at a greater rate in the defended cities. For this reason, bastions were started to be built, especially in places located on the borders. In defensive wars, these bastions played an important role in winning military victories.
The bastions, which are an important part of our history, have become glorious structures that guard the martyrdom of our ancestors and are waiting for their visitors to be rediscovered today.
Rumeli Mecidiye Bastion, Canakkale

Rumeli Mecidiye Bastion, II. It was built during the reign of Abdülhamit. The bastion contains the foundation traces of the headquarters and other structures behind it, along with 8 bonets (rooms under the ground) and 6 cannons. On the monument located at the entrance of the bastion, “Those who were martyred in this bastion during the 18 March 1915 Battle of the Bosphorus; Ali Sergeant from Isparta, Mehmet, son of İsmail, from İvrindi, Süleyman, son of Mustafa and 13 of his friends lie here”. In addition, this bastion is the bastion where Seyit Onbaşı lifted 190 to 215 kilos of bullets. It is identified with the name of Seyit Onbaşı and is a place frequently visited by visitors.
Bloody Bastion, Kars

In the 19th century, the bastions, which were used for defense against the attacks of the Russian armies, played an important role in the defense of the city of Kars. The Bloody Bastion building, Sultan III. It was built under the name of “New Bastion” during the Selim period and was built in 1803. This bastion was named as the “Bloody Bastion” in the literature after all the soldiers were martyred in the attack of the Russians in 1828. The Bloody Bastion building, which was built to protect the city of Kars from the south, has preserved its architectural features until today.
After the Kars Victory in 1855, Sultan Abdulmecid had 3 thousand Kars Medals made and sent to the city of Kars. The Bloody Bastion building serves as the Caucasian Front War History Museum today. In the museum, important events from 1828 to the proclamation of the Republic are displayed interactively in its 8 main halls.
Hidirlik Bastion, Edirne

In 1829, the first fortifications were built in Edirne under the supervision of the translator of the Divan-ı Hümayun, Hoca İshak Efendi, against the Russian occupation. One of the most important of these structures, the Hıdırlık Bastion, was also used during the First Balkan War. The Hidirlik Bastion is the largest bastion in Edirne with a circumference of approximately 1800 meters. It consists of sections such as the Bastion, Nizamiye Main Entrance Building, Ward Building, Artillery Rooms, Artillery Batteries (Cannon Post), Trench and Courtyard.
Ertugrul Bastion, Canakkale

Ertuğrul Bastion is located in the west of Seddülbahir village. It was built on Gözcü Baba Hill to protect the entrance to the Dardanelles. II. It was built under the direction of Asaf Pasha during the reign of Abdülhamit. However, the building inscription was lost during the battles. The bastion consists of three bonnets and two ball platforms. It was equipped with two long-barreled cannons, but only parts of one cannon are currently in the bastion. The headquarters building is thought to be where the Yahya Sergeant Martyrdom is located. The bastion was subjected to intense bombardment between 19-25 February 1915 and was neutralized before the 18 March 1915 Naval Battle. It was restored and opened to visitors in 2006 by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism while it was buried in the ground.
Pasha Bastions, Sinop

Pasha bastions, located on the Karakum road in the east of the peninsula, were built in the 19th century. It was built to ensure the safety of the shipyard against the dangers that may come from the sea and to protect the ships in the port. The bastions are in the shape of a half moon and there are 11 ball slots on the top. In the lower part of the building, there are large spaces and cellars used as ammunition and dormitories.
Arab Bastion, Kars

The Arab Bastion is the largest of the 46 bastions in the city, built between 1848 and 1853 during the reign of Sultan Abdulmecit in Kars. The bastion was built on a large area on the Karadağ Hill and was built for defense against Russian attacks from the east. The basalt is surrounded by deep defensive positions and is made of finely cut basalt stone. Inside, there is a large military barracks with a rectangular plan and storage and ammunition areas consisting of wide corridors hidden under the ground. The bastion was defended against the Russians by the soldiers of the Arabian army coming from Damascus in the Ottoman-Russian war of 1855 and Kars Victory was won as a result of this war. For this reason, the bastion was called the Arabian Bastion.
Namazgah Bastion, Canakkale

After passing the Kilitbahir Castle, the Namazgah Bastion, consisting of 26 bonnets on the sea side, was built with the suggestion of Baron De Tott for the improvement of the Ottoman Army. This bastion was built at the narrowest point of the Dardanelles Strait and is known as the first big bastion. It is known that the place located on the main axis of the bastion was used as the Combat Operations Center during the war. This bastion, whose real name is Rumeli Aziziye Bastion, was named Namazgâh Bastion because it was a closed and sheltered area during the Dardanelles War and because it was the center of the troops dispersed in the region, so prayers were held here on Fridays. Çanakkale war objects are exhibited in the bastion, which was restored by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in 2005-2006.
Inside the bastion, historical information about the battles is given in 12 exhibition panels. After passing this part, a short video showing the 7-minute Naval Battles is shown inside the bonnets. Again, in one of the bonnets, an exhibition with a sound system that revives wartime intelligence communications is presented to the visitors. In the same section, photographs of sunken ships belonging to the Allies are exhibited.

